Hey guys, hope you’re all doing well! Last time I made a post we were talking about:
- The restoration of the Learn section of the site and the future work required there. (Duplicate pages that you can’t see because they’re set to “draft” behind the scenes may have better explanations or formatting than what is currently being displayed, and I need to just sit down and do this tonight probably.)
- I spoke of getting back to work on Let’s Play Yo-Yo, and
- I believe I’ve discovered a way to trick myself into this. Since a little before the last post on the 6th I’ve begun live streaming regularly to YouTube (generally late at night after my family has gone to sleep) under the title of “Let’s Play Yo-Yo Live: [whatever the stream’s topic is]”.
- Generally a lot of goofing around since I’m not sure what to focus on but occasionally that process leads to cool looking tricks so I have also been recording these live streams from a second camera with a higher frame rate for later viewing in slow motion, but there are some lighting issues with this at the moment.
- The main goal is to take the hour or more long streams and trim them down to about 10 minutes. I have just barely started doing this with a stream from the 1st of December. We’ll see how it goes. I’d like to get into the habit of editing what I have from the day before and posting it before going live again. But that could be problematic. Who knows.
This all leads me to what’s new at the moment. Obviously I’m working on this project now, having the site to keep track of it and other yo-yo projects has been helping. And now I mention something called the #GaryVeeChallenge in the title and don’t mention it until well into the post. What’s that about?
So if you’ve been following me for long. A handful of you have been around 10+ years. You’ll know I’ve been obsessed with this Gary Vaynerchuk guy since I first stumbled across him in 2009. Well, he recently started something to help lazy folks like me get their asses in gear. Or maybe not so much lazy folks like me, but folks similar to me who are on the fence about going all in on whatever their thing is.
And I want to do it. He sent out a new deck (60+ page pdf of ideas on how to make good regular content) and challenged folks to apply it, tagging the posts made from applying said concepts with #garyveechallenge.
I am only even posting about this because I’m fairly confident this is not something I’m ready to put myself into fully right now, but because it’s a good guide for creating the kind of content I want to create, I want to see if I can somehow trick myself into doing a decent job at this challenge.
I have glanced around through the deck. It reminded me of the last one Gary put out. I need to actually study it a bit further, as it shows you the process of using pillar content (like a show, a podcast, vlog) and splitting it up in to smaller highlight chunks that can be distributed to the various platform available, regardless of the time you’re doing this challenge in.
I am currently taking my live stream and when I hit trick I want to share I do my best to remember when I hit it, and then immediately afterwards I go back through the footage, find the trick, clip it, edit it into something fancy with some cool music, light it artificially as best I can, and then share it to youtube, twitter, instagram, tiktok, and facebook. I am supposed to tag all of these posts made from the pillar content (and the pillar content as well I suppose) with the #garyveechallenge tag.
I started writing this post while I waited for footage to both import from my little action camera and download from YouTube.
My action camera doesn’t record good audio so I’m depending on good audio from the live stream to sync over the action camera footage that I do end up using. I will also potentially use voice overs but will have to record them on my phone, which considering I’m doing this all on my own and the mic I bought is garbage, I’m not going to beat myself up too much for doing so.
Between now and January, if I make enough noise and presumably adhere to this deck well, I (or several other participating in this challenge) could potentially win some cool things, all of which are rad, but I have my eyes set on that ‘fly you to the office’ one haha…
Well I’m now blogging to procrastinate, I’ll post some updates later.
P.s. I haven’t also been sharing all the videos I’ve been making on the blog because a few of you get emails every time I make a blog post and I’m concerned about spamming you.